Tuna Puff Sandwiches
My husband and I can’t get enough of this great supper sandwich. The cheese-covered tomato slices top off the mild tuna salad deliciously. Sometimes, I replace the tuna with canned salmon, ham, chicken or turkey. How could something so good be so easy?
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise, divided
- 2 tablespoons chopped green pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 can (6.4 ounces) albacore white tuna in water, drained and flaked
- 2 hamburger buns, split
- 4 slices tomato
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, combine 1/4 cup mayonnaise, green pepper, onion, mustard and Worcestershire sauce; stir in tuna. Spread over each bun half; top each with a tomato slice. Arrange sandwiches on a baking sheet.
- In another bowl, combine the cheese and remaining mayonnaise; spoon cheese mixture over tomato. Bake at 400° for 11-13 minutes or until topping is puffy and golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 509 calories, 42g fat (9g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 18g protein.
Originally published as Tuna Puff Sandwiches in Country Woman July/August 2005
May 4, 2010
This was pretty good. Beats your everyday tuna fish sandwich. It really dresses it up. Flavor was terrific. I did slap a bun on top, it looked pretty but we wanted it like a sandwich.