Fry Bread Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + resting Cook: 20 min.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 12 lettuce leaves
- 12 slices deli ham
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 6 slices cheddar cheese
- 18 thin slices tomato
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add milk and stir to form a soft dough. Cover and let rest for 1 hour.
- Divide dough into six portions. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 8-in. circle.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry bread circles, one at a time, until golden, turning once; drain on paper towels. Keep warm.
- Cut each circle in half. On six halves, layer the lettuce, ham, onion, cheese and tomato; sprinkle with chilies. Top with remaining bread.
Aug 9, 2014
We made the fry bread only, using dry milk powder and water instead of the milk. It made more like 8 or 10 breads, but I must have been using a smaller skillet than her. These were good, nicely flavored and chewy. We made tacos with them.
Oct 6, 2011
This fry bread is fantastic no matter how you fix the sandwich. Highly recommend.