Blueberry-Orange Coffee Cake
The orange peel and fresh juice in this cake give it a delicious aroma and a moist texture, while the blueberries add color.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour 20 min. + cooling
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 large eggs plus 2 large egg whites
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a bowl, combine flour, sugar, 1/2 cup brown sugar, baking powder, salt and orange zest. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add nuts. Beat eggs, whites, milk, juice and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in berries.
- Spoon half into a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Combine cinnamon and remaining brown sugar; sprinkle over batter. Top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 318 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 276mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Blueberry-Orange Coffee Cake in Country Woman Christmas Volume 1