Biltmore’s Bread Pudding
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 8 cups cubed day-old bread
- 9 eggs
- 2-1/4 cups milk
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, cream, sugar, butter, vanilla and cinnamon. Pour evenly over bread.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water and lemon juice to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; cook until sugar is dissolved and mixture turns a golden amber color. Stir in butter until melted. Gradually stir in cream. Serve with bread pudding.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 581 calories, 39g fat (23g saturated fat), 273mg cholesterol, 345mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 1g fiber), 9g protein.
Apr 16, 2016
I LOVE bread pudding! So, this recipe is delicious and will be used a lot in our home. I do use whatever kind of bread I have stored in the freezer.
Jan 23, 2016
Excellent recipe! Made this with Tsoureki bread (Greek easter bread....also common as a new years tradition) and it was a big hit!
Dec 31, 2015
Made this with challah. I only had 2 cups of milk, so just used 2 cups milk and 2 cups cream. Still was fantastic. Unfortunately, didn't have enough cream to make the caramel sauce. Hubby LOVES bread pudding. Declared this the best he's had in ages!
Sep 21, 2015
Made it several times. Everyone who tasted it lived every bite. I use Challah and follow the recipe. While it's still warm I pour on the caramel sauceHeavenly. Eating
Feb 4, 2015
Use any bread you desire - you cannot go wrong!! A keeper for sure!
Jan 27, 2014
I used cinnamon swirl bread
Jul 24, 2013
I've made this recipe for years. My family and I just love it. I've tried other bread pudding recipes before, but my husband told me not to change a thing after he ate this one. Yuuuumy!!!
Jul 7, 2013
This is yummy! My husband and all of my kids loved it. The only thing I changed was I used homemade raisin bread.
Sep 9, 2012
I'm confused about this recipe. The picture on this page for the Biltmore Pudding is the same picture for the Apple Cranberry Pudding. Makes me wonder.
Apr 8, 2012
For my parents anniversary last year I made a huge meal and my mom just loves bread pudding but hasn't been able to find a good one in years, when she tried this she raved that it was the best she had ever had and she's a pretty difficult person to please in the food department. There was a lot of leftovers but luckily this keeps really well when refrigerated and still tasted amazing warmed up or even cold :)
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.