- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- Hot mashed potatoes
- In a medium bowl, combine egg, cracker crumbs, onion, salt, pepper and sage. Add beef and mix well. Shape into two patties.
- In a medium skillet, cook patties for 4-5 minutes per side or until browned; drain. Remove to a platter and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in butter for 2 minutes. Stir in flour; blend well. Add water and bouillon; cook and stir until smooth and thickened. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Return patties to gravy and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with mashed potatoes. Yield: 2 servings.
Reviews forBest Salisbury Steak
"Great recipe! I made a couple of changes based on what I hand on hand. Used fresh mushrooms instead of canned and beef stock instead of the bouillon cubes and water. I also used 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef, so I increased the ingredients accordingly. easy to put together and my family gobbled it up! I will definitely make this again!"
"Has been added to my favorites. I have made several times and find it the best around. Love just that bit of sage. I did not change A THING!"
"I doubled this recipe, but made no other modifications. My family loved it. Will definitely make again."
"Absolutely delicious. I had to triple it for a family dinner. The gravy was incredible. Only change I made was to use fresh mushrooms."
"Made this for the first time and without modification. Excellent!"
"Very good -family enjoyed! I used gluten free crackers."
"Comfort food at its best! I used a can of beef consumme' in place of water and bouillon."
"This was very easy and good, I did not have any mushrooms so I added small chopped peppers in their place."
"My family loved this recipe and we're not even big fans of gravy type dishes. I would double the mushrooms and add onions like others suggested to change it up and because we love these two items."
"This recipee was dead on. I took a short cut and used cube steak and omitted egg and cracker. It was a hit with my dinner party guests this evening."