- 1-1/4 cups egg whites (about 9)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Place egg whites in a large bowl; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Place oven rack in the lowest position. Preheat oven to 350°. Add cream of tartar, extracts and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually add remaining sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, beating on high until stiff peaks form. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and entire top appears dry. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake to a serving plate. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Reviews forBest Angel Food Cake
"This is a wonderful recipe for angle food cake. It is a little stickier then some other recipes but the batter had no trouble reaching that lofty angle food cake texture. I was concerned after reading some other reviews since I used turbinado sugar so I put the sugar and flour in the vitamix to give it a finer consistence. I also use a little more almond and a little less vanilla because I am using this cake in a trifle. Great recipe, I would make it again."
"I've made this recipe 3 times, its been perfect every time. I've served it with strawberries and whipped cream, yum, not a crumb left??"
"I made this cake after reading all the good reviews. I was very disappointed in the way it turned out ... quite dense and dry. It baked fine and came out of the pan easily enough, but we didn't care for the texture at all. I use organic sugar which is not very fine, so that may be the problem. Perhaps this requires super fine sugar."
"I've tried MANY angel food recipes, and this turned out better than any I've tried. It was moist and looked as beautiful as the picture! It was a little stickier when cutting, but it made for a moist, delicious dessert! Thanks for a great recipe! :-)ttfn999- I made it Denver with no changes, and it was perfect!"
"It was dry as ever and tasteless"
"Can you make cupcakes out of this??"
"Delicious! I substituted 2T cornstarch with rest of cup all-purpose flour per cup of flour because I did not have cake flour and it turned out great. We frosted with TOH Fluffy White Frosting."
"Delicious! I substituted 2T cornstarch rest all-purpose flour per cup of flour because I did not have cake flour and it turned out great. We frosted with TOH Fluffy White Frosting."
"This cake was so yummy. We ate it with and without fruit and whipped cream. I made this using King Authur Measure to Measure gluten free flour and it still came out delicious. I am looking for the weight of a serving size as my nephew is diabetic and needs to calculate his food intake. Would anyone know this information? Thanks!"