Chocolate Angel Food Dessert
"Yum!" and "Wonderful!" are typical reactions to this make-ahead dessert, which field editor Norma Erne serves in Albuquerque, New Mexico.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- In a large saucepan, melt chocolate chips over low heat; stir until smooth. In a small bowl, combine the milk, egg yolks and sugar; gradually add to chocolate, stirring constantly. Cook and stir for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool to room temperature. Fold in cream.
- Tear cake into bite-size pieces; place half in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. dish. Top with half of the chocolate mixture. Repeat layers. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve chilled.
Originally published as Chocolate Angel Food Dessert in Taste of Home February/March 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.