Easy Angel Food Cake
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 2 cups egg whites (about 14)
- 1-1/4 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Sift flour and 1/2 cup sugar together four times; set aside. In a bowl, combine egg whites, cream of tartar, extracts and salt; beat on high until soft peaks form but mixture is still moist and glossy. Add remaining sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Sift flour mixture, a fourth at a time, over the egg white mixture; fold in gently, using about 15 strokes for each addition. Spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan (pan will be very full). Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until top crust is golden brown and cracks feel dry. Immediately invert cake in pan to cool completely. Loosen sides of cake from pan and remove.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 101 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 106mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
Jul 28, 2011
I used meringue powder in replacement of half the eggs, yes it is expensive, but it tastes quite a bit better.
Apr 23, 2011
I agree with the other review(which I wish I would have read first), the texture is too moist and it is too eggy. Very disappointed!
Mar 16, 2010
It tasted too egg-y for me.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.