Beef, Potato & Egg Bake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 14 large eggs
- 1 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1/3 cup fat-free milk
- 3/4 to 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese
- 1-1/3 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef with onion powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, sage and pepper flakes over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink, breaking up beef into crumbles; drain. Stir in spinach. Remove from heat.
- Spread potatoes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with beef mixture. In a large bowl, whisk eggs, ricotta cheese, milk, pepper and remaining salt; pour over top. Sprinkle with cheese. Top with tomatoes.
- Bake, uncovered, 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5-10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 218 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 250mg cholesterol, 489mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1/2 starch.
Feb 5, 2017
I don't always like breakfast casseroles, sometimes they are overcooked, or just flavorless. This one is great! Best one I've made by far. I used fresh spinach since I prefer that and it was still great. I also accidentally dumped a whole bunch of extra onion powder in it and I didn't ruin it. I would use a little more salt and crushed red pepper next time, but otherwise, perfection as is!
Sep 29, 2016
Great recipe for a crowd! You can assemble it the day before and bake it when everyone is ready to eat.
Sep 6, 2016
Yes, 14 eggs is correct (note "Test Kitchen Approved" icon and please don't rate until you've at least tried it - thank you). The fresh grape tomatoes give this dish a lovely presentation. I used the entire 15 oz. container of ricotta. Everyone enjoyed the dish and one guest requested the recipe.
Feb 23, 2015
Feb 5, 2015
Is the recipe correct?? 14 eggs??
Jan 26, 2015
tried this for an afternoon pot luck - a big hit! This can work for breakfast, brunch, even dinner or midnight snack. Very hearty and feeds alot of diners.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.