Banana-Hazelnut Pain Perdu Duet
The ultimate breakfast at our house is French toast with warm bananas and Nutella. Pass it around with confectioners' sugar, maple syrup and fresh mint. —Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1 medium banana, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional toppings: confectioners' sugar, maple syrup, fresh mint leaves, additional banana slices and additional Nutella
- On each of 4 bread slices, spread cream cheese and Nutella to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with banana slices, brown sugar and remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, milk, liqueur, cinnamon and vanilla.
- In a large cast-iron or other heavy skillet, heat butter over medium-low heat. Dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture, allowing each side to soak 30 seconds. Place sandwiches in skillet; toast until golden brown, 4-5 minutes on each side. If desired, serve with toppings.