Banana-Hazelnut Pain Perdu Duet
The ultimate breakfast at our house is French toast with warm bananas and Nutella. Pass it around with confectioners' sugar, maple syrup and fresh mint. —Charlene Chambers, Ormond Beach, Florida
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 8 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 1 medium banana, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup hazelnut liqueur
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Optional toppings: confectioners' sugar, maple syrup, fresh mint leaves, additional banana slices and additional Nutella
- On each of four bread slices, spread cream cheese and Nutella to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with banana slices, brown sugar and remaining bread. In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs, milk, liqueur, cinnamon and vanilla.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium-low heat. Dip both sides of sandwiches in egg mixture, allowing each side to soak 30 seconds. Place sandwiches in skillet; toast each side 4-5 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with toppings as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 stuffed French toast (calculated without optional toppings): 468 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 222mg cholesterol, 347mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Originally published as Banana-Hazelnut Pain Perdu Duet in Taste of Home April/May 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.