Nutella Banana Cream Pie
Here’s a banana cream pie with a little Italian flair. The chocolate and hazelnut go well with the banana, and the rolled chocolate pie crust makes it extra-special. If you don’t have time to melt and pipe the chocolate stars, just sprinkle the top of the pie with grated chocolate or cocoa powder instead. —Crystal Schlueter, Babbitt, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cold brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon shortening
- 1 carton (8 ounces) mascarpone cheese
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 2 medium bananas, thinly sliced
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons instant banana cream pudding mix
- 2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- In a small bowl, mix flour, cocoa and sugar; cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add cold coffee, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Shape into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack until set, 15-20 minutes. Remove foil and weights; bake until edges are browned, about 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For decorations, in a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Transfer to a food-safe plastic bag. Cut a small hole in a corner of bag; pipe designs over a waxed paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze until set, about 5 minutes.
- For filling, mix mascarpone cheese and Nutella until blended; spread into crust. Top with bananas.
- In another bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add pudding mix; beat until stiff peaks form. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of another plastic bag; insert a 1M star tip. Fill with cream mixture; pipe rosettes over pie. Sprinkle with hazelnuts. Top with chocolate decorations.
Editor's NoteLet pie weights cool before storing. Beans and rice may be reused for pie weights, but not for cooking.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 578 calories, 46g fat (24g saturated fat), 107mg cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 39g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Italian Dream Banana Cream Pie in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.