Banana Streusel Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 4 cups sliced ripe bananas (5 to 6 medium)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts or almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- Line the unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of foil. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Remove the foil and bake 2 minutes more or until pastry is golden brown; set aside. Reduce heat to 375°.
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Stir in the pineapple juice, lemon juice and zest. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Fold in bananas; pour into crust.
- For streusel, in a small bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the filling.
- Cover edges of pie loosely with foil. Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until topping is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 396 calories, 17g fat (7g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 179mg sodium, 60g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 6, 2014
Really good!!! I agree with the other review about being reminiscent of bananas foster. There's a hint of caramel without being sweetly overpowering. I may reduce the amount of lemon peel next time (a bit too much of the lemony taste for me), but a great recipe!! The whole family loved it!!!!!
Nov 8, 2009
Delicious! Yes I would make it again! Reminds me of Bananas Foster- we ate it with french Vanilla ice cream- Stupendous!