- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 large ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Add bananas and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
- Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. For the topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and oats. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle a rounded teaspoonful over each muffin.
- Bake at 400° for 16-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 15 muffins.
Reviews forBanana Buttermilk Muffins
"Good muffins...I just don't know why some muffin recipes have the quantity of 15 muffins. Where do you ever see a 15 muffin tin. The standard is 12. I have to bake the extra 3 with an empty muffin tin or throw the rest of the mixture out. If you try to add extra to each muffin mix it over runs in the tin."
"I followed advice from lettuceleaf and agree completely. Next time however, I will not try to squeeze the recipe into a 12 count pan as the muffins ended up looking a little tortured by the time I was able to get them out."
"Really yummy! Muffin isn't overly sweet so the struesel topping is perfect. I used 1 c AP flour and 1 c whole wheat flour and added chopped walnuts to the batter. Will definitely make again."
"I made these at the beach. They were perfect. I did use an extra banana for moisture. I forgot the butter in the topping and no one missed it."
"Added an extra banana .i like the topping. I'll use it for other things too:)"
"Added cinnamon and a sprinkle of nutmeg to this recipe and left off the topping. Was very good and moist."
"Very good banana bread, not too sweet. The crumb topping is delicious!"
"Very good! I must not have it the butter in well enough because I had flour left on top of some. Tasty, but not pretty. I will melt the butter, I think. Didn't have any buttermilk, but added a teaspoon of vinegar to the cup of milk and let it sit a few minutes. easy."
"I get lots of compliments when I serve these moist muffins."