Bacon-Potato Corn Chowder
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes (about 5 medium), peeled and cubed
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 1-1/2 teaspoons in pan. Add onion to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender.
- Meanwhile, place potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup potato water.
- Add corn, milk, salt, pepper, potatoes and reserved potato water to saucepan; heat through. Stir in bacon and onion.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 335 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 592mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 3g fiber), 12g protein.
Apr 6, 2020
Probably the best soup recipe I have tried!!
Mar 3, 2020
Instead of milk, I use 2 cups of 1/2
Mar 1, 2020
Best soup we have had in a long time! Everyone loved it, no whining!
Feb 24, 2020
My parents owned a restaurant. My mom would make this and we would be sold out every time. It's awesome
Feb 23, 2020
Turned out great and was a hit at my house! The only things I did differently was to lightly mash/break up the potatoes a little, add a couple Tbsp of flour to give it a traditional chowder consistency, a little xtra course ground pepper, and used the pan I cooked the bacon
Feb 4, 2020
Quick meal that everyone liked. Next time I'll probably add some green chilies, perhaps even some chicken bouillon to add a little something to the flavor.
Feb 2, 2020
For those of you that added half-and-half how much did you add and did you still add the evaporated milk?
Jan 23, 2020
This was quick and delicious! Perfect for a cold weeknight meal. The whole family loved it. It's a keeper recipe! Thanks for sharing!
Jan 6, 2020
Delicious and easy, I made this tonight after work. It didn’t take long at all and what a comforting meal on this cold Winter evening!
Nov 14, 2019
Great Soup and Easy I followed some of the suggestions of other reviews and added chicken bouillon along with half and half cream. So nice and homey!