Bacon & Mushroom Omelets
I had grown tired of the same breakfast meals, so I wanted to make something more interesting. These fresh and flavorful omelets come with a versatile sauce that can also be used as a nacho dip. —Susan Kieboam, Streetsboro, Ohio
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 3 bacon strips, chopped
- 4 medium fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3 tablespoons shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning
- Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes and thinly sliced green onions
- In a small nonstick skillet, cook bacon and mushrooms over medium heat until mushrooms are tender and bacon is crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs and salt. In a small nonstick skillet, heat 1 teaspoon butter over medium-high heat. Pour in half of the egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edges.
- As eggs set, push cooked portions toward the center, letting uncooked eggs flow underneath. When eggs are thickened and no liquid egg remains, spoon half of mushroom mixture on one side. Fold omelet in half; slide onto a plate. Repeat for remaining omelet.
- Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan, melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 2-3 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheeses and taco seasoning until cheese is melted. Serve with omelets and toppings as desired.