- 5 teaspoons olive oil
- 5 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-3/4 pounds), skin removed
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Sliced green onions
- Hot cooked rice, optional
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 8-10 minutes on each side or until golden brown. In a small bowl, whisk water, brown sugar, orange juice, soy sauce, ketchup, vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and five-spice powder. Pour over chicken. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30-35 minutes or until chicken is tender, turning chicken occasionally.
In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1 minute or until sauce is thickened. Sprinkle with green onions. If desired, serve with rice.
Freeze option: Cool chicken. Freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat slowly in a covered skillet until a thermometer inserted in chicken reads 165°, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews forAsian Chicken Thighs
"Very good recipe. I used chicken breasts as that was all I had. I also did not have the five-spice powder. Other than that I followed the recipe as written. Very tasty. Thanks for sharing your recipe."
"I followed the recipe, but doubled the meat and tripled the sauce. I used chicken breasts plus thighs and it turned out beautifully red and so delicious. You could skip browning the meat because I don't think this could be less attractive or delicious."
"Delicious, although I didn't have/make 5-spice seasoning, but it was still excellent. Also, I used 1/3 cup orange juice instead of water for extra flavor. It's a keeper!"
"What a hit! I doubled the sauce, and I was glad I did, as it was delicious. Will be making again."
"very good and easy!"
"Excellent and easy"
"So amazing! Loved it, down to the last drop of the delicious sauce. A new family favorite. I too used apple cider vinegar because I love the depth of flavor it adds."
"Incredible! Doubled the sauce. Left out the 5 spice powder , did not have any. I will make this often. So happy and impressed with how it turned out! Thank you for a Great Recipe!"
"Make a double batch at least. These are super yummy. Making extra sauce would be a good idea also."
"Very good. I halved the red pepper but it still had quite a bite, so go easy on the red pepper if you’re not a heat lover. I did double the sauce and will definitely do that again next time."