Moroccan Chicken Thighs
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 4 bone-in chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 pounds), skin removed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 4 pitted dates, chopped
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash ground cumin
- 1/3 cup uncooked couscous
- 1-1/2 teaspoons slivered almonds, toasted
- In a small bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Set aside 1 teaspoon spice mixture; add flour to remaining mixture and sprinkle over chicken.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm. Add shallots to the pan; cook and stir over medium heat for 3 minutes. Stir in 1/2 cup broth and dates. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; return chicken to the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Remove chicken and keep warm. Combine flour with reserved spice mixture and remaining broth until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cilantro.
- For couscous, in a small saucepan, bring the water, broth, salt and cumin to a boil. Stir in couscous. Cover and remove from the heat; let stand for 5-10 minutes or until water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork, then stir in almonds. Serve with chicken and sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken thigh with 1-1/4 cups couscous and 1 cup sauce: 642 calories, 24g fat (6g saturated fat), 174mg cholesterol, 684mg sodium, 50g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 56g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Oct 11, 2013
I bought a case of couscous and was looking for recipes to make it. Found this and am so glad I did. This is incredible, so flavorful. Recipe sound complicate with a lengthy ingredient list but it is not complicated at all and most of the ingredients are items I usually have on hand. Will definitely be making this again, soon. Thanks for sharing.
Aug 23, 2013
Apr 9, 2013
This is a winner! I don't normally do anything fancy on a school night, but this was a snap. I tripled the recipe, put the chicken in a baking dish in a 200 degree oven to keep warm while I cooked the onions (didn't have shallots). I love dates, but only had dried apricots and they tasted great. Next time I will double the sauce too! Really great recipe!
Nov 3, 2012
This was really yummy, I have to agree the sauce was so good. I loved the dates with it as well. I don't think I will make it often though because it is a bit lengthy.
Oct 18, 2011
As a mediocre cook...I tend to shy away from recipes that look involved...however, I must say...this is prob the best chicken dish I have ever made...so tasty!!! Amazing...simply amazing!
Oct 7, 2011
What a great dish! The sauce was simply delish. My 9-yr-old picky eater gave me the thumbs-up. A definite keeper!
Sep 12, 2011
I doubled the sauce ingredients in anticipation of a great flavor. I was not disappointed! I am always in awe of how well cinnamon and meat go together. I am going to think of other uses for the spice blend in this recipe!
May 16, 2011
Such good flavor! I loved the chicken with the couscous and sauce...all went together so well.
Mar 24, 2011
I've made this several times for my family of 3, doubling the recipe so as to have leftovers and each time I NEVER have leftovers... we (or I should say my 16 yr old son) eat it all! Yummy!
Feb 5, 2011
Made this last weekend... SOO GOOD!!! made a few adjustments a little more cinn. and threw in a little more after tasting ... My husband wasn't sure about Moraccan cooking but he ate the last little bit!!! >>> WILL MAKE AGAIN!!!