Apple Pie Steel-Cut Oatmeal
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large apple, chopped
- Sliced apples, toasted pecans and additional maple syrup, optional
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 7 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in chopped apple. If desired, top servings with apple slices, pecans and syrup.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 171 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Oct 3, 2019
Not great. Very bland, and the water measurements must be off because I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out more like soup than oatmeal. On the plus side my house smelled good.
Feb 13, 2019
Great breakfast on a cold and snowy morning. I added the apple right in with the oats and cooked it all together and was very glad I did. Tasty and filling.
Nov 1, 2018
Great recipe. I added the apples with all of tge otger ingredients. Added great flavor and Asia like the texture. I used an older slow cooker so the apples were still intact.