Apple Pie Steel-Cut Oatmeal
I absolutely love this slow cooker oatmeal. The steel cut oats have so much flavor and texture. My family loves to sprinkle toasted pecans on top. —Angela Lively, Conroe, Texas
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 6 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups steel-cut oats
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 large apple, chopped
- Sliced apples, toasted pecans and additional maple syrup, optional
- In a 4-qt. slow cooker, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until liquid is absorbed. Stir in apples. If desired, top servings with apples, pecans and syrup.
Health tip: Boost protein with a dollop of vanilla Greek yogurt (it will help you stay full longer).
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 171 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Apple Pie Steel Cut Oatmeal in Simple & Delicious October/November 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.