Apple Iceberg Salad
I created this recipe when my children were small and fussed about eating fruits and vegetables. The slightly sweet dressing makes it a hit. This iceberg salad was part of our Friday meal when I served fried fish and boiled potatoes. My grown children call this "Mom's Salad". —M.J. Zimmerman, Altoona, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 5 min. + chilling
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 large red apples, diced
- 1 medium head iceberg lettuce, torn
- In a bowl, combine the mayonnaise, sugar, vinegar and milk; mix well. add apples. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Just before serving, toss with lettuce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 215 calories, 18g fat (3g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Apple Iceberg Salad in Reminisce July/August 1999