Apple Caramel Bread Pudding
I've made this bread pudding for years, and everyone loves it. You can prepare it the night before, cover it with plastic wrap and then bake it in the morning. After it's cooked, it can sit out for a couple hours without getting soggy.—Jan Bradford, West Valley City, Utah
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 35 min.
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups sliced peeled Granny Smith apples (about 4 medium)
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 loaf (1 pound) egg bread, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- In a small saucepan, combine 1 cup brown sugar, butter, corn syrup and cinnamon; cook and stir 4-6 minutes over medium heat until blended. Pour into a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top evenly with apples. Cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, vanilla, salt and remaining brown sugar until blended; stir in bread. Pour over apples. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove bread pudding from refrigerator; uncover and let stand while oven heats. Bake 35-40 minutes or until bubbly and top is golden. Serve warm.
Originally published as Apple French Toast in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.