Apple Betty with Almond Cream
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 3 hours
- 3 pounds tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 10 slices cinnamon-raisin bread, cubed
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- Place apples in an ungreased 4- or 5-qt. slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine the bread, brown sugar, butter, extract, cinnamon, cardamom and salt; spoon over apples. Cover and cook on low for 3-4 hours or until apples are tender.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until it begins to thicken. Add the sugar, lemon zest and extract; beat until soft peaks form. Serve with apple mixture.
Nutrition Facts1 cup with 1/4 cup almond cream: 468 calories, 23g fat (14g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 18, 2015
We added a touch of tangerine zest to the recipe! Great addition!!! :) second time making in two days!!! :) yum!!!
Nov 2, 2015
Feb 27, 2014
Dear Bleugerman.....you might want to put on some specs and take a third look :)
Feb 24, 2014
I had to take a second look at this recipe because I thought I made a mistake. Why does the recipe list 1/2 tsp cardamom and then 1/4 tsp cardamom? In the directions it does not mention using it two ways. So what is the right amount to use? I think it sounds delicious and I would really like to make it.
Oct 26, 2013
Delicious recipe. A real crowd pleaser. I used plain whipped cream but I'm sure it would be even better with the almond cream.
Oct 17, 2013
Made this for dessert today. Very good. I didn't have the cream so had it plain. I did not use the slow cooker.... Just baked it in the oven. I should have covered the top with foil, but still enjoyed to . I made no changes to the recipe. Will make this again.
Oct 9, 2013
This is a great recipe....the almond cream really makes it!
Oct 5, 2013
I did not think it would be so easy. and I did not think it would tast so dam good. thank you so very much. [email protected]
Oct 5, 2013
LOVED IT! Will definitely make this many more times. It's delicious and the smell while cooking is divine.
Sep 20, 2013
This is the best apple crisp I've ever tasted - even better than my moms.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.