Cinnamon-Apple Brown Betty
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 2 hours
- 5 medium tart apples, cubed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 6 cups cubed day-old cinnamon-raisin bread (about 10 slices)
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. In a small bowl, mix brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; add to apple mixture and toss to coat. In a large bowl, drizzle butter over bread cubes; toss to coat.
- Place 2 cups bread cubes in a greased 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. Layer with half of the apple mixture and 2 cups bread cubes. Repeat layers. Cook, covered, on low 2-3 hours or until apples are tender. Stir before serving. If desired, top with whipped cream.
Jun 24, 2018
Very simple and flavorful dish! Was great for a dessert but would be equally delicious as part of breakfast! Next time, I think I'll add some cranberries for a little bit of tart flavor!
Oct 11, 2014
My husband enjoys almost any dessert with apples. This is one of his favorites. It smells wonderful as it bakes especially when you lift the lid off the slow cooker. October 5th is National Apple Betty Day
Sep 26, 2014
First experience with "Brown Betty". Tastes great.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.