- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1/4 pound sliced fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-1/2 cups cooked rice
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the butter, zucchini, mushrooms and onions; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Drain. Stir in the chili powder, salt and garlic powder. Add the rice, chilies, sour cream and half of the cheese.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-22 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Zippy Beef Bake
"Love this recipe !! I use yellow, green, and mexican squash in this. Love it with a wild rice mix also, if you want more spice use hot chilis & papper jack cheese. The left overs re-heat wonderful."
"I like this dish a lot. Any thing with green chillis in it is for me."
"My husband and I really enjoyed this casserole. I'll definitely be making it again and will be sharing the recipe with my zucchini-loving friends!"
"Tasty, the zucchini and mushrooms offer an unexpected flavor."
"This is a favorite recipe. I go back to it regularly and there's never any leftovers!"
"Made this last night for supper and hubby really loved it. I liked the texture better before I put it in the oven to bake- the sour cream was all sucked up by the rice by the time it came out and the creamy texture wasn't there. However, I have to say we both liked it and hubby has already said, "I hope you'll make this again cause I really liked it.""
"Very good, but a little bland. I might add some more spice to it next time."
"Love this receipe my husband wants me to double for this weekend, great taste, yummy with zucchini from out garden."
"I made this recipe with yellow squash rather than zucchini. I also omitted the chilis and used a slightly spicy Jambalaya Rice Mix for the rice. I used plain cheddar cheese as well. I also used ground turkey. This dish seems very versitile as I substituted a lot of the ingrdients to fit my pantry."
"Does anyone know if the zucchini could be substituted with yellow squash?"