My mother used to prepare this pretty coffee cake on Christmas Eve for our family to enjoy the next morning after opening gifts. It's an easy way to add an elegant touch to a holiday breakfast or brunch.
- 1 jar (10 ounces) maraschino cherries, drained
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 10 pecan halves
- Set aside five cherries for garnish. Chop remaining cherries; place in a bowl. Add cream cheese, sugar, almond extract and pecans; beat until blended. Roll crescent roll dough. Place dough together, forming one large rectangle; seal seams and perforations. Fold dough in half lengthwise; roll into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Spread filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up tightly, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With a scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of the ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show, slightly overlapping previous piece. Bake at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cover loosely with foil if the top browns to quickly. Using two large spatulas, carefully remove to a wire rack. For glaze, combine confectioners' sugar, milk and almond extract. Drizzle over warm ring. Garnish with pecans and reserved cherries. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Very Cherry Crescent Ring in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2000, p14
Reviews for Very Cherry Crescent Ring
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 30, 2009
"I make this every year for the holidays and the plate is always wiped clean!!!! Very easy and delicious!!!!"