Cherry Cream Puff Ring
Making an impressive cream puff ring might seem like a challenge, but it's actually easy. Spread cherries over the rich, creamy filling to create a brunch pastry fit for any special occasion.—James Korzenowski, Fennville, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups cold 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls into a 10-in. ring on a greased 12-in. pizza pan (mounds should be slightly touching). Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in the side of each puff to allow steam to escape. Carefully cut ring in half horizontally and set top aside; remove soft dough from inside with a fork. Cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, sour cream, pudding mix and 1/4 teaspoon extract for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Just before serving, place bottom of cream puff ring on a serving plate. Fill with pudding mixture. In a small bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar and remaining extract until stiff peaks form. Spread over pudding. Top with pie filling. Replace cream puff ring top. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 264 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Cherry Puff Ring in Country Woman Christmas 2008