Cherry Cream Puff Ring
Making an impressive cream puff ring might seem like a challenge, but it's actually easy. Spread cherries over the rich, creamy filling to create a brunch pastry fit for any special occasion.—James Korzenowski, Fennville, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups cold 2% milk
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, milk, butter and salt to a boil. Add flour all at once and stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from the heat; let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until mixture is smooth and shiny.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls into a 10-in. ring on a greased 12-in. pizza pan (mounds should be slightly touching). Bake at 400° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack. Immediately cut a slit in the side of each puff to allow steam to escape. Carefully cut ring in half horizontally and set top aside; remove soft dough from inside with a fork. Cool.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk, sour cream, pudding mix and 1/4 teaspoon extract for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
- Just before serving, place bottom of cream puff ring on a serving plate. Fill with pudding mixture. In a small bowl, beat the cream, confectioners' sugar and remaining extract until stiff peaks form. Spread over pudding. Top with pie filling. Replace cream puff ring top. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.