Smooth and with the fragrant flavor of sweet cherries, this homemade cherry bounce makes a wonderful holiday gift. For an additional treat, the drained cherries are delicious over vanilla ice cream. —Matt Warren, Mequon, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Cook: 25 min. + standing
- 4-1/2 pounds fresh unpitted sweet cherries
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1-1/2 cups spiced rum
- 1-1/2 cups brandy
- Place cherries in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Strain juice through a cheesecloth-lined colander; divide cherries among six 1-pint jars.
- Return juice to saucepan; add sugar and allspice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- Stir in rum and brandy; pour syrup into bottles over cherries. Cover and let stand for at least 1 month, stirring every week. Store in a cool, dry place up to 3 months.
Originally published as Cherry Bounce in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.