Old-Fashioned Cherry Torte
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling
- 1 cup crushed saltines
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- Combine cracker crumbs and butter; press onto the bottom of a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites, vinegar and vanilla on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue evenly over crust. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Spread pie filling over meringue. Top with whipped cream. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 244 calories, 15g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 153mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (20g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Jun 13, 2013
I liked how light-tasting this dessert was, not overly sweet and rich. I see that others commented on the size of the baking dish. I made it in the 9x13 dish and although the crust was thin, it worked. Now the dessert shrunk quite a bit as the meringue cooled before adding the filling, but the crust shrunk with it. It looked a bit odd as it no longer filled the dish, but it tasted great.
May 1, 2013
This is really good. Like the other reviewer I used a 9 by 9 glass baking dish. 9 by 13 is too big for the amount this makes and no way the crust would cover the bottom of a 9 by 13 pan. It is a refreshing, light dessert. I used no sugar added cherry pie filling. Everyone loved this. Great summer and spring dessert. Will definitely make again. Thanks for sharing.
Aug 20, 2011
I haven't even tasted it yet. I am sure it will be delicious, but I believe the pan size given is incorrect. When I put the crust in it never would have covered. I used a 9X9. When I put the meringue in it looked correct. It's in the oven now. Also, I wish it would have reminded me to pre-heat the oven at the beginning.
Jun 24, 2010
This was a childhood favorite dessert. Our mother used to make it with a graham cracker crust instead of saltines. Glad to find this recipe again.
Jan 4, 2010
Very tastie. Everyone I served it to loved it. I have made it several times, and will be come a part of my favorite recipies.
Aug 12, 2009
I took this to our family reunion - rave reviews! was swamped with requests for the recipe - very tasty!