Acorn Squash Rings
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 large acorn squash (about 1-1/2 pounds each)
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 medium onion, quartered and sliced
- 1 large Golden Delicious apple, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large Red Delicious apple, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 orange, sectioned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons chopped toasted almonds
- Cut ends from squash. Slice each squash widthwise into four rings; remove seeds. Place rings on a greased foil-lined baking pan. In a small saucepan, bring 2 tablespoons butter and syrup to a boil. Brush each ring with syrup mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes, basting with syrup mixture.
- In a skillet, saute onion in remaining butter. Add apples and cook until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in banana, orange and seasonings; heat through. Place rings on serving platter; fill centers with apple mixture. Sprinkle with almonds.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 170 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 136mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 2g protein.
Nov 21, 2010
This is a very good basic recipe that I would use as a starting point for making a dish of my own. Since this is a winter squash, virtually any other winter squash could be substituted for it, though some, like the Hubbard Squash, would probably require a bit of creativity in how you serve it.I'd consider making this with a long-neck Butternut squash, and just use the neck portion. With the maple syrup in use, I'd use walnuts instead of almonds. I'd consider using shredded carrot and parsnip instead of the apples, and use crystalized ginger, nutmeg, and mace instead of the spices.If you're sold on the rings, though, and you have to serve a lot of people, consider using a small to medium sized Banana squash. These kind of look like a stretched out football, and have a long hollow cavity, so with a small one that might be 15-18 inches long, you could serve 30 people. (the larger banana squash are a good 3 ft long, and are used commercially as canned pumpkin)