Microwave Acorn Squash
Acorn squash is my favorite fall vegetable—and it goes to great use in this quick-and-easy side dish.—Rita McPherson, Nashua, New Hampshire
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 medium acorn squash
- 2/3 cup crushed butter-flavored crackers
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place squash on a microwave-safe plate, microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. Cut in half; remove seeds and strings. Cut a thin slice from bottom of squash with a sharp knife to allow it to sit flat. Place squash, cut side down on in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and microwave for 4-1/2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the crackers, butter, brown sugar and nutmeg. Turn squash over; fill with cracker mixture. Microwave for 1-2 minutes or until squash is tender.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1/2 each: 344 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 41mg cholesterol, 289mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Microwave Acorn Squash in Country Woman September/October 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.