Roasted Acorn Squash & Brussels Sprouts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups pecan halves
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut squash lengthwise into quarters; remove and discard seeds. Cut each quarter crosswise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Trim and halve Brussels sprouts.
- Place squash and Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer to two foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Roast 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a dry large skillet, toast pecans over medium-low heat 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add syrup and butter; cook and stir until butter is melted.
- Sprinkle vegetables with pecan mixture; gently toss to combine.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 300 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 8, 2015
Rarely do I make a new recipe for the Thanksgiving Holiday Dinner Table, but when I saw this recipe, I knew it would be a winner, and my guests raved. I doubled the recipe for the 14 guests. And to make cutting the squash much easier, I put them into the microwave for ten minutes. I substituted small pieces of walnut for the pecans, which worked just as well. Due to lack of oven space, I roasted this the day before, then using a large electric skillet on the buffet table, reheated the mixture, adding 1/2 cup apple juice to prevent drying out. My guests want me to make this a regular at our holiday table. Thanks, Angela!
Nov 5, 2015
Easy and delicious! This deserves to be a fall regular. I used butternut instead of acorn squash.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.