Roasted Acorn Squash & Brussels Sprouts
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-3/4 cups pecan halves
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cut squash lengthwise into quarters; remove and discard seeds. Cut each quarter crosswise into 1/2-in. slices; discard ends. Trim and halve Brussels sprouts.
- Place squash and Brussels sprouts in a large bowl. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer to two foil-lined 15x10x1-in. baking pans. Roast 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a dry large skillet, toast pecans over medium-low heat 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Add syrup and butter; cook and stir until butter is melted.
- Sprinkle vegetables with pecan mixture; gently toss to combine.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 300 calories, 24g fat (5g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 5g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 8, 2015
Rarely do I make a new recipe for the Thanksgiving Holiday Dinner Table, but when I saw this recipe, I knew it would be a winner, and my guests raved. I doubled the recipe for the 14 guests. And to make cutting the squash much easier, I put them into the microwave for ten minutes. I substituted small pieces of walnut for the pecans, which worked just as well. Due to lack of oven space, I roasted this the day before, then using a large electric skillet on the buffet table, reheated the mixture, adding 1/2 cup apple juice to prevent drying out. My guests want me to make this a regular at our holiday table. Thanks, Angela!
Nov 5, 2015
Easy and delicious! This deserves to be a fall regular. I used butternut instead of acorn squash.