Vegetable Barley Bake Recipe
Forget the potatoes and rice, and consider this change-of-pace dinner accompaniment from Shirley Doyle. The Mt. Prospect, Illinois reader relies on wholesome barley for the heart-smart dish that complements most any main course.
- 3 medium sweet red or green peppers, chopped
- 4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1-1/2 cups medium pearl barley
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onions in butter for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Stir in the broth, barley and pepper.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 50 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Vegetable Barley Bake in Light & Tasty October 2005, p43
Reviews for Vegetable Barley Bake(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Oct. 17, 2010
Very good and easy to make side dish. Or fill up a bowl for a solo main meantless dish!
More Recipe Collections
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Diabetic Side Dishes >
- Grains Side Dish Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Side Dishes >
- Healthy Cooking Vegetarian Recipes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Mushroom Side Dishes >
- Mushroom Vegetarian Recipes >