It’s not every day that a cost-conscious menu pleases both the eye and the stomach, but this scrumptious stovetop entree does just that. —Laila Zvejnieks, Stoney Creek, Ontario
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Add the tomatoes, water, soup mix, Italian seasoning and, if desired, pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Stir in macaroni. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-9 minutes or until macaroni is tender.
- Remove from the heat; stir in Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cover and let stand for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Stovetop Italian Macaroni in Simple & Delicious October/November 2011, p30
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Stovetop Italian Macaroni
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review