Stovetop Cheeseburger Pasta
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) penne pasta
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Cook pasta according to package directions; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook and crumble beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pan with a slotted spoon; pour off drippings.
- In same pan, melt butter over low heat; stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes (do not burn). Gradually whisk in milk, broth, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
- Stir in green onions, pasta and beef; heat through. Stir in half of the cheeses until melted. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; remove from heat. Let stand, covered, until melted.
Test Kitchen tips
Health Tip: Cut saturated fat by almost half: Use lean ground beef and only 2 cups Jack cheese and make the roux with 2 tablespoons butter and ¼ cup flour. Then, whisk the remaining flour into the broth before adding it to the pan.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 616 calories, 29g fat (17g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 727mg sodium, 56g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 10, 2019
This was good but is much like a recipe that I already use from my mother. This was easy to put together and tasty.
May 25, 2018
Very tasty, but it takes some time and several steps.
Mar 7, 2018
Easy to make and very good. Next time I will use diced tomatoes with onions and peppers, for a little more flavor. I may try the bacon sometime too, because I will definitely be making it again. The recipe makes a lot for the 2 of us, but leftovers were very good.
Jan 23, 2018
This recipe is definitely a great one to feed a big family. Both of my kids loved it because it has such a friendly, mild, and familiar flavor profile for two cheeseburger loving kids. I agree with a couple other reviews that it needs a little something extra for me, and I love the idea of pickles or bacon. It's still a fantastic recipe, but I think a few of the suggested garnishes would take it to the next level!
Jan 15, 2018
This is a wonderful hearty skillet meal that will feed an army! I used my 5 quart Dutch oven and it was filled to the top when done. I used a 12 ounce package of tri-color rotini pasta instead of the 1 pound penne as called for in the recipe ..... I also added an envelope (equivalent of 2 cubes) of beef boullion to enhance the flavor a bit. Other than that, I followed the recipe exactly ..... I also topped my serving off with about 1 tablespoon of dill pickle relish. I will definitely make this again .... very tasty ...... 5 stars for sure.... maybe add some cooked and crumbled bacon the next time!
Jan 11, 2018
An interesting recipe and I wasn't sure, at first, how I would like it, but I made it according to the directions with no substitutions and it's good! You should definitely use a Dutch oven or soup pot as I used my largest, highest-sided pan and the food barely fit!Pros of this recipe:1. Makes a ton so I could easily feed my family of 5 with a lot left over for the next day.2. Calls for everyday ingredients...nothing exoticDrawbacks of this recipe:1. Needs a little kick of something, at least for my family's tastes. I added in the suggested sliced pickles and that helped a bit, but I think the original recipe needs something in addition to the ground mustard to amp up the flavor profile. Maybe a Chicago-style steak seasoning added to the meat or maybe a couple of dashes of hot sauce.
Dec 10, 2017
I made this almost exactly as in the recipe, except I didn’t have any green onions. It was good without them, but might have been even better if I had them. Everyone loved it, even my kids. It’s so nice to find a recipe that’s easy and that everyone likes. I also like the fact that you don't have to bake it. Will definitely make again!