Stovetop Hamburger Casserole
Total TimePrep/Total TIme: 25 min.
- 1 package (7 ounces) small pasta shells
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups cubed cooked red potatoes
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add carrots and celery; cook and stir for 5 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in the potatoes, corn, tomato sauce, salt and pepper; heat through. Drain pasta and add to skillet; toss to coat. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 508 calories, 17g fat (9g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 1172mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 5g fiber), 32g protein.
Mar 19, 2020
I cooked the pasta in a bone broth and water combo. I ditched the potatoes and added broccoli florets (for more veggie power) and peas (for protein). Swapped the cheddar for Gruyère because it adds nuttiness. I used homemade tomato sauce because I don’t like what’s on the market.
Apr 21, 2017
I read the reviews before making this so I added more liquid and seasonings and it made this dish delicious! Don't be afraid to add your own twist to this.
Nov 5, 2015
Just made this for dinner tonight. I agree it is dry. Will add more sauce and other spices when I try again. If that doesn't work, won't bother again.
Nov 5, 2015
Very bland, and not nearly enough liquid. I would agree with others that there are so many more skillet recipes out there that are far better. To fix this one would take a major overhaul.
Sep 6, 2015
This needed adjustment. There was not enough liquid. I added two cans of beef broth and another can of tomato sauce. Also I added more seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, hot pepper sauce, chili powder and more salt & pepper. This actually turned out quite good ,my husband liked it. This made a lot , good inexpensive meal for a big family . I did just use one lb. of ground chuck as that is what I had on hand.2
Nov 22, 2014
Good with the red merlot
Oct 13, 2014
Just plain and not good.
Oct 12, 2014
Tasty...would add more sauce.
Sep 22, 2014
Very average hamburger casserole and bland with one too many starches. Many more like this out there that are better than this, to go to this expense for a marginal recipe.
Sep 19, 2014
This was ok but def needed some spice. 2nd time added Italian spice , salt and pepper with meat & wow what a diff!!