Beefy Red Pepper Pasta
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 jar (12 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces uncooked ziti or small tube pasta
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh green beans
- 1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Place peppers in a food processor; cover and process until smooth. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pepper puree, tomatoes, garlic, oregano, basil and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions, adding green beans during the last 5 minutes of cooking. Cook until pasta and green beans are tender; drain. Stir in meat sauce. Sprinkle with cheese; stir until melted.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 362 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 53mg cholesterol, 739mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 4g fiber), 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Apr 19, 2012
I left out the green beans & served some on the side because my kids won't eat them but otherwise followed the recipe & it turned out really good!
Oct 2, 2010
My family loves this recipe! Definitely a favorite!
Feb 10, 2010
Have made several times.Hubby loves it. I added a dash of crushed red pepper flakes for a little kick, but not too much. great recipe
Jan 2, 2010
This was easy to make but did not have much flavor. I would add some more seasonings too this.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.