- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into serving-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/4 cups beef broth or water
- Hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes, optional
- Preheat oven to 325°. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add steak, a few pieces at a time and shake to coat. Remove meat from bag and pound with a mallet to tenderize.
- In an ovenproof Dutch oven, brown steak in oil on both sides. Arrange onion slices between layers of meat. Add water and Worcestershire sauce.
- Cover and bake 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until meat is very tender. Remove to a serving platter and keep warm.
In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper and broth until smooth; stir into pan juices. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve steak and gravy with noodles or mashed potatoes if desired.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled beef mixture in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a covered saucepan, gently stirring and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for So-Tender Swiss Steak
"I have made this so many times and it is always so good! Recently I tried pork on a whim. We buy boneless pork chops and have the grocer tenderize them like cube steaks. I switched out the beef broth for chicken broth. Delicious!"
"This recipe was amazing. It was incredibly easy and I loved that I could use the dutch oven and only had to dirty one pan. I followed the recipe as is, except I did use beef broth when it called for water. There was lots of flavor and the steaks were fork tender. My family ate this over mashed potatoes. My husband even wanted seconds, which is unusual for him. Overall, I thought it was awesome and will make again for sure."
"My family loved this recipe, I added sliced fresh mushrooms and Chopped celery! I will make it again."
"Very tender steak, I used the beef broth and also added some sliced mushrooms, gravy was very tasty over potatoes!"
"Nice and tender, but lacks flavor."
"This was OK; the gravy and onions were the best part. I might just not like this cut of meat...it seemed like it was missing something, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it."
"Excellent, flavorful, very tender. I did use beef stock in place of water."
"Very easy and has great taste."
"husband raved about it, came out so tender and flavorful, I used sirloin fillet not round steak, would not change a thing, will definitely make again"
"I make this delicious meal about once a month and my husband and I both just love it. I usually add 3 or 4 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce for extra flavor. It is easy to make and quite filling. I usually make extra for leftovers. This is absolutely one of my favorite meals."