Slow-Cooked Shepherd's Pie Recipe
Shepherd's pie is to the British like meat loaf is to Americans, so as a young child living in the UK, shepherd's pie was a weekly staple. This is my go-to recipe when I'm longing for the sights and smells of my mother's kitchen.—Mari Sitkiewicz, Downers Grove, Illinois
- 2 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, then shake potatoes over low heat for 1 minute to dry. Mash potatoes, gradually adding butter and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, carrots, broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in peas. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Transfer beef mixture to a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. Spread mashed potatoes over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until bubbly. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Just before serving, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 5 servings.
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Shepherd's Pie in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2013, p17
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Shepherd's Pie(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Budget Ground Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Ground Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Recipes >
- Ground Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >