Slow-Cooked Shepherd's Pie Recipe
- 2 pounds medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-3/4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/3 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain, then shake potatoes over low heat for 1 minute to dry. Mash potatoes, gradually adding butter and enough milk to reach desired consistency. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook the beef, onion, and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add tomato paste; cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms, carrots, broth, wine, Worcestershire sauce and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until most of the liquid is evaporated. Stir in peas. Season with remaining salt and pepper.
- Transfer beef mixture to a greased 4-qt. slow cooker. Spread mashed potatoes over top. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until bubbly. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and cook 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Just before serving, sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 5 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied white wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Rutherford Hill Chardonnay 2012 Napa Valley, a full-bodied classic California Chardonnay with the perfect touch of oak. Buy now and get 6 bottles for $99.99. Order Now
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Shepherd's Pie
Sort By :
Very good! I left out the wine and thyme. Tasty and easy to make. Will put it on a favorite's list. Nice family dinner.
I really enjoyed this recipe, thank you!!!
Can't go 5 stars only because I haven't actually tried it yet but it reads delicious!! Thank you for a real recipe without canned soups and veggies (shudder).