- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 3 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 carton (32 ounces) chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen sliced okra
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1-1/2 teaspoons gumbo file powder
- Hot cooked rice
- In a Dutch oven over medium heat, cook and stir flour and oil until caramel-colored, about 12 minutes (do not burn). Add the celery, green pepper and onion; cook and stir for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Stir in the broth, garlic, salt, pepper and cayenne; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the shrimp, okra, green onions and tomato. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until shrimp turn pink. Stir in file powder. Serve with rice. Yield: 11 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Shrimp Gumbo
Sort By :
"Loved it! Will make again for sure!"
"I followed the recipe exactly and I was really excited to try it, but once I did I was disappointed. I definitely felt like there was something missing. The flavors were just ok. I expected much more. Would not make again."
"This recipe was pretty good. I've tried cooking it a few times, each time making minor adjustments or additions to try and make it better suited to my family's tastes, but every time I make it it always feels like something is missing. It's not bad, but we won't be making it again."
"I had been looking for a good Gumbo recipe for a long time. when I was given this one. after making this the first time all the Gumbo in my recipe draw was thrown away. the next day made copies and passed out to my co-workers. The one's who have made this swear the family was licking the bowl & begging for more. This is one yummy dish."
"Simple to prepare and delicious"