California cuisine is all about balancing flavors. This recipe brings out the sweetness in orange juice and honey and balances it with the kick of ancho chili pepper and balsamic. —Dustin Anderson, Fillmore, California
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground ancho chili pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 salmon fillet (1 pound)
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- In a small saucepan coated with cooking spray, saute garlic and shallot until tender. Add orange juice and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Stir in the honey, chili pepper, salt and pepper.
- In a large ovenproof skillet, brown salmon in oil on both sides. Brush with 1/4 cup sauce. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 8-10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Brush with remaining sauce and sprinkle with cilantro. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Scrumptious California Salmon in Healthy Cooking June/July 2010, p17
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Scrumptious California Salmon
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review