New England Salmon Pie
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3-1/2 cups warm mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) salmon, drained, bones and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a bowl, combine the potatoes, onion, milk, celery seed, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Stir in salmon and parsley. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim even with edges. Spread salmon mixture into crust.
- Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Beat egg and water; brush over pastry. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 409 calories, 19g fat (7g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 662mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 15g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 15, 2018
I’ve made this a number of times. My husband and I love it.
Dec 19, 2015
When I make a salmon pie I use the red salmon. I do not add the onions and etc. I just mash my potatoes and add butter and some milk. I also add parsley and pepper. Serve it warm with butter and ketchup.
Mar 17, 2015
This recipe is terrible. I had leftover salmon and wanted to use it. The mixture of salmon, onions, potatoes and milk was just sort of blah with an oniony salmon undertaste. I usually like Taste of Homes recipes and maybe someone's family likes this, but mine was unanimous and I ended up throwing most of it in the garbage.
Feb 12, 2013
Just like I make except I save the drained can liquor and brush it on the crust instead of an egg wash,,,I also make an egg sauce and add frozen peas and a little of the liquor to that...Too good to waste. Good pie!
May 26, 2010
Perfect! I was trying to duplicate my mother-in-laws famous salmon pie and I hit the jackpot. Everyone loved it. Thank you!