Washington Cream Pie
Lyn Robitaille of East Hartland, Connecticut recalls, "My mom made this cherry-topped cake every year for my uncle, who shares his birthday with George Washington!"
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry pie filling
- Whipped cream
- In a bowl, beat eggs on high for 3 minutes; gradually add sugar. Combine flour and baking powder; stir into egg mixture alternately with water. Beat on low for 1 minute. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until the cake tests done. Cool. Split cake into two layers.
- For filling, combine the sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan; stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. Stir a small amount into eggs; mix well. Return all to pan. Cook and stir for 1 minute or until thick. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Add the butter and vanilla; cool completely. Spread between cake layers. Cut into squares; top with pie filling and whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 497 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 132mg cholesterol, 189mg sodium, 100g carbohydrate (73g sugars, 1g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Washington Cream Pie in Taste of Home December/January 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.