Cape Cod Blueberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Cook: 10 min. + chilling
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water, divided
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 cups fresh blueberries, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- Sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
- On a lightly floured surface, roll crust to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°.
- Line crust with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 20-25 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, salt and 1/3 cup water until smooth. In a large saucepan, combine sugar, 1 cup blueberries and remaining water; bring to a boil. Stir in flour mixture. Return to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir 4-6 minutes or until thickened. Stir in vinegar and remaining blueberries; pour into crust.
- Refrigerate 4 hours or until filling is set. Serve with whipped cream.
Nutrition Facts1 piece (calculated without whipped cream): 307 calories, 12g fat (7g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 230mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (28g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein.
Jun 18, 2018
Absolutely the best blueberry pie I ever made or tasted, the blueberries burst in your mouth and had huge blueberry flavor. Easy to make. Used fresh blueberries we pick every year when we vacation in South Carolina. Sauce was very easy to make. My son and his family said it was excellent and had to keep the grandsons from eating the entire pie. Definitely a keeper.
Apr 8, 2018
Best blueberry pie. I love that it had one crust so that the blueberries are the star. Added some frozen berries as I didn't have enough fresh. Excellent and easy to make.
May 26, 2017
This pie is one of our favorites. It is simple, quick & delicious. If you like blueberries like we do, the blueberry flavor is punched up to a ten. Whole blueberries suspended in a rich blueberry sauce supported by a bit of crust. The whole blueberries burst in your mouth when you eat it. This time I added a few dashes of my good Penzeys cinnamon, it gives the pie a warm flavor I enjoy in my jams. Get the whipped cream or ice cream ready, it doesn't last long at my house. My friend said it was the best blueberry pie he ever ate...thank you Nancy! Mainers know their blueberries!
Nov 1, 2016
Oh, my, this is good! The hardest part was waiting for the filling to set! It really highlights blueberries in season.
Aug 9, 2016
This was REALLY good. I will make this again only next time I will add 4 cups of blueberries to the saucepan instead of one cup and add 2 cups whole berries. Family stated there were too many whole berries. Otherwise AWESOME.
Jul 7, 2016
Really EASY & DELICIOUS!!!!! I baked a pillsbury pie crust instead of making my own....fresh blueberries are the best but using frozen blueberries works just add 1/2 tbsp. More of flour to thicken.....used lemon juice to replace vinegar and added a dash of cinnamon....A
Jul 6, 2016
I've never had blueberry pie, but I had lots of blueberries leftover from our strawberry/blueberry shortcake we ate on 4th of July. I decided to try this recipe and it was fantastic! My family loved it and it was so easy to make. The only change I made was to substitute lemon juice instead of vinegar. I will definitely be making this again. I wonder how this recipe would do using blackberries that come into season here next month? I may give that a try. Thank you for the recipe!
Jul 4, 2016
This pie is Awesome! My husband & 14 yr old daughter love it too! Was looking for a recipe to use up the blueberries in the freezer from last season & found this. So easy to make and I didn't thaw out the blueberries either. I had a package of Pillsberry Frozen Pie shells in the freezer to use up and this was enough filling to fill both shells after I baked them. This recipe is so easy to make too. This is the 2nd time making these in the last month. Perfect for a 4th of July picnic!!
Jul 3, 2016
This pie is the best blueberry pie I have ever eaten. If you have access to fresh blueberries make this pie. I have even made it with a truvia sugar blend and it came out great. My husband loves it.
Jun 2, 2016
By far the best blueberry pie I have ever eaten. Never use canned pie filling.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.