Your family will love this pretty puffy casserole—and you'll love that it can be made ahead for convenience. —Suzette Jury, Keene, California
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 loaf sourdough bread (1 pound), cubed
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 10 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a large skillet, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Place bread cubes in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer with mushrooms, onions and sausage.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream, mustard and salt. Pour over top; sprinkle with cheese. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-65 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. (Cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly.) Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve immediately or before refrigerating and baking, cover and freeze casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake according to directions. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Italian Sausage Strata in Simple & Delicious November/December 2009, p14
Reviews for Savory Italian Sausage Strata
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review