Italian Sausage with Polenta
This turkey and broccoli mixture over polenta is quick, easy and tastes great. Nutritious and delicious, it makes a comforting meal on a weeknight. –Mary Bilyeu of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup cornmeal
- Shaved Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in broccoli. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 5-7 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
- Stir in the tomatoes, pesto, pepper flakes and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, for polenta, bring broth to a boil in a small heavy saucepan. Reduce heat to a gentle boil; slowly whisk in cornmeal. Continue stirring for 10-12 minutes or until polenta is thickened and has a smooth texture. Serve with sausage mixture. Garnish with cheese if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 337 calories, 12g fat (4g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 1131mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 6g fiber), 24g protein.
Originally published as Polenta with Italian Sausage Sauce in Light & Tasty October/November 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.