Italian Sausage Calzone
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + standing
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1 can (8 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Unroll pizza dough onto an ungreased baking sheet; pat into a 14x11-in. rectangle. Spread pizza sauce over 1 long side of dough to within 1/2 in. of edges.
- Layer the spinach, sausage, mushrooms and cheese over sauce. Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal.
- Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled unsliced calzone in a freezer container. To use, place calzone on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven 10 minutes. Uncover; bake until heated through.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 322 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 870mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 17g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Apr 18, 2011
This was really good. I left out the mushrooms because I don't like them. I think I will use olives in place of them the next time. I agree with the previous writer that this does make a lot of filling and you could easily use 2 pizza crusts. It was difficult to stuff it all in one.
Mar 30, 2010
i would use 2 pizza crust rolls--this makes a lot! Absolutely delicious!!!
Jan 28, 2010
This always satisfies my hungry boys. We use Italian sausage in alot of recipes and this one is a sure winner. It gets made alot since its so easy and fast to make.