Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 35 min.
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms, onion and green pepper in oil until tender. Add tomatoes; cook and stir 3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste; set aside. Combine cheeses and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, divide dough into eight pieces. Roll each piece into a 7-in. circle. Spoon a scant 1/2 cup of vegetable mixture and 1/4 cup of cheese mixture over one side of each circle. Brush edges of dough with water; fold dough over filling and press edges with a fork to seal. Place calzones 3 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Whisk egg and water; brush over calzones. Bake 33-37 minutes or until golden brown. Freeze option: Bake calzones 15 minutes and cool. Place in resealable freezer bags; seal and freeze up to 3 months. To use, preheat oven to 350°. Place frozen calzones 2 in. apart on a greased baking sheet. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 calzone: 503 calories, 15g fat (4g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 953mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 6g fiber), 23g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 17, 2015
I took a bunch of these to a church pot luck, made with my favorite pizza dough recipe. A family friend asked to take one home with him for later.
Jun 27, 2015
These were okay, but not the greatest. I baked them for 35 mins which seemed way too long. I suggest to start checking at about 25 mins.
Apr 10, 2013
I have made this a couple of times as a freezer meal for friends having babies and they have raved about them. I like that you can individually freeze them and take them out as needed. I also add sausage or turkey sausage to them for some extra flavor. I also use my bread machine pizza dough recipe (doubled) for the dough.
Jan 26, 2013
These are fairly simple to make and always turn out well. I freeze them individually to use as a quick dinner or lunch later on.
Aug 22, 2011
I want to try my homemade pizza dough instead of the bread dough next time. Also added turkey sausage to them. They tasted good but weren't so pretty to look at! I need to get better at shaping them LOL.
Oct 9, 2010
I substituted zucchini for the mushrooms and made pizza dough in the bread machine.
Jun 1, 2010
These are delicious! I added olives and chilies to my recipe, with a bit of brown sugar to sweeten things up.
Oct 10, 2008
Make sure you cut several slits or fork prong holes so clazones done "blow up" with steam pressure of baking. Old bread baker!