- 4 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and bacon until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir beans into the sauce mixture. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Saucy Calico Beans
Sort By :
"Just the right amount of sweet and savory. Tastes just like my aunt's calico beans that I've loved since I was a little girl!"
"A delicious family favorite! I dice my onions instead of halving and slicing, and I use great northern beans in place of the lima. This is also a great recipe for the slow cooker. After stirring in the beans, I put it all in my crock pot on low for 5 hours. The left-overs are tasty, too!"
"Very saucy and good. I added chopped green pepper."
"I've made this recipe several times. It's delicious as is but sometimes I like to change it a little....different beans, sauces, etc. Lots of compliments when I serve it."
"Yummy, yummy, yummy."