- 4 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 5 Jones Dairy Farm Dry-Aged Bacon strips, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and bacon until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir beans into the sauce mixture. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Reviews for Saucy Calico Beans
"Just the right amount of sweet and savory. Tastes just like my aunt's calico beans that I've loved since I was a little girl!"
"A delicious family favorite! I dice my onions instead of halving and slicing, and I use great northern beans in place of the lima. This is also a great recipe for the slow cooker. After stirring in the beans, I put it all in my crock pot on low for 5 hours. The left-overs are tasty, too!"
"Very saucy and good. I added chopped green pepper."
"I've made this recipe several times. It's delicious as is but sometimes I like to change it a little....different beans, sauces, etc. Lots of compliments when I serve it."
"Yummy, yummy, yummy."
"This is truly a winner. I use hamburger for a main dish and without if it is a side to hamburgers. Great either way. I use butter beans instead of lima beans and add ketchup as well."
"I had found this recipe about five years ago, have made it numerous times for church gatherings, and it was a huge hit... well I moved and lost all my recipes, and was elated to have found it again on here!!! This recipe is absolutely amazing! I add either lil smokies or kielbasa to it to add to the flavor!"
"Add a pound of hamburger for a different taste."
"We found these beans to be better than my usual recipe. I didn't have any pork & beans on hand so I used baked beans. Also, I don't care for lima beans so I don't keep them on hand, so I used cannellini beans instead; turned out fine."