A picnic favorite, this saucy bean medley isn't overly sweet like some versions. The dish will be empty before you know it! —Pat Price Cook, Mission Viejo, California
- 4 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pork and beans
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and bacon until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir beans into the sauce mixture. Transfer to a 3-qt. baking dish. Cover and bake 1 hour or until heated through. Yield: 12 servings (3/4 cup each).
Originally published as Calico Beans in Taste of Home June/July 2009, p17
Reviews for Saucy Calico Beans
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review