Calico Pepper Frittata
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 5 large eggs
- 1-1/4 cups egg substitute
- 1 tablespoon grated Romano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients until blended.
- In a large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers and onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Pour in egg mixture. Mixture should set immediately at edges. Cook, uncovered, 8-10 minutes or until eggs are completely set, pushing cooked portions toward the center and letting uncooked eggs flow underneath. Cut into wedges.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 wedge: 201 calories, 10g fat (3g saturated fat), 268mg cholesterol, 559mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1 fat.
Feb 4, 2018
I made it in a 10" skillet, and used red, orange and yellow bell peppers, no green. Came together quickly and reheated great!
Jan 2, 2018
I just used eggs with no egg substitute. Also added some cheddar cheese to flavor it up. While I love colored peppers, budget won't allow it, so I just used green peppers. The only time I purchase colored peppers is when I can catch them on sale. They would be good in this dish.
Aug 16, 2015
Good flavour for this frittata. Next time I would use all eggs and no egg substitute. I found it took much longer than stated however.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.