Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
- Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Sort By :
This was very easy to make. If you like it "soupier", add a little more broth. I made everything as is and the family wants me to cook it again!
I made a few changes to this soup to accommodate what I had on hand. It was super easy and delicious! I'm not a fan of sausage so I omitted that. I added sweet peppers to the onion. And used vegetable broth instead of chicken broth. I also didn't have fresh spinach so I thawed some frozen spinach, squeezed it and crumbled that in. I would definitely make this again. The red pepper flakes gave it a hint of spice and the parmesan cheese on top was a nice finishing touch.
This is the most excellent soup that you can make. It is quick and easy. Our family loves it.
Yum! Will make again.
This is a family favorite! I use spicy regular Italian Sausage.