- 3 Italian turkey sausage links (4 ounces each), casings removed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 2-1/4 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash crushed red pepper flakes
- Shredded Parmesan cheese, optional
- Crumble sausage into a Dutch oven; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the broth, water and tomatoes. Bring to a boil.
Add tortellini; return to a boil. Cook for 7-9 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; add the spinach, basil, pepper and pepper flakes. Cook 2-3 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted. Serve with cheese if desired.
Freeze option: Place individual portions of cooled soup in freezer containers and freeze. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Rustic Italian Tortellini Soup
Sort By :
"My husband said this is his new favorite! I used two 32 oz cartons of chicken broth and omitted the water, Johnsonville mild Italian sausage, frozen spinach thawed and squeezed dry, and diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings. Really nice flavor. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!"
"Outstanding!! need I say more......"
"I made this soup yesterday and LOVED it! It was really quick and easy to make. I am sitting at work wishing I would have brought some for lunch."
"Outstanding flavour! My whole family loved this soup. They told me it's a 'keeper', which in my family means it becomes part of our regular rotation of meals."