- 6 large portobello mushrooms (4 to 4-1/2 inches), stems removed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (15 ounces) pizza sauce
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Thinly sliced fresh basil leaves, optional
- Place mushrooms, stem side down, on a greased baking sheet; drizzle with oil. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in the pizza sauce, pepper, onion, mushrooms, Parmesan cheese and garlic. Divide among mushrooms; sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Broil 2-3 in. from the heat for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with basil if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a light red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Tangley Oaks Pinot Noir 2012 CA, pinot nose with great raspberry and plum flavors...a perfectly balanced lighter wine. Buy now and get 4 bottles for $59.99. Order Now
Reviews for Portobello Pizzas
Sort By :
I made this vegetarian by leaving out the meat and used almond mozzarella. Fantastic flavors! Thank You so much for sharing!